March 12, 2020
To Our Worcester County Public Schools family,
Earlier this evening, State Superintendent of Schools Dr. Karen Salmon joined Governor Larry Hogan for a press conference to update our state on the latest developments with coronavirus disease. During this press conference, he announced that Maryland has had its first case of community transmission of the coronavirus, indicating that this health crisis has moved into a new phase.
In light of this information, Dr. Salmon announced that all public schools in Maryland – including Worcester County Public Schools – are mandated to be closed beginning Monday, March 16 and lasting through Friday, March 27. As both the Governor and Dr. Salmon said today, we know this closure will be an inconvenience for our families, but a necessary step to mitigate the spread of the disease.
Tomorrow, students should report to school for the early dismissal day as normal. Upon leaving, each child will be provided with educational activities that can be completed at home to support student learning; however, we want to stress to you that students’ completion of these activities has no bearing on their grades, but can help with retention of what they have learned.
Again, we thank you for your continued partnership during this time, and please explore our resources here on our website for more information about coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Louis H. Taylor
Superintendent of Schools
CANCELLATION & RESCHEDULING
All schools are mandated to be closed beginning
Monday, March 16, 2020, through Friday, March 27, 2020.
- Effective at dismissal on March 13, there will be no after school activities, including sports practices.
- The College Board will send out information to register test-takers, but the scheduled administration of the SAT on Saturday, March 14, will be cancelled as a result of our closure.
- The WCPS Job Fair scheduled for Saturday, March 14, 2020, has been cancelled.
- The SAT Day scheduled for Wednesday, March 25, will be rescheduled at the discretion of The College Board. We will communicate information, including the new date, as it is made available.
- Pre-kindergarten and kindergarten registration has been rescheduled to April 15 – 17, 2020.
- The Worcester County Public Schools Teacher of the Year Gala scheduled for Friday, March 27, 2020 has been cancelled. Current ticket holders will receive information via email regarding the refund process.